Thursday, 30 June 2016

Bathingsuit Bottoms

Since I wanted to get my money's worth from my sewing class, I wanted to do something related to bathing suits. Since I had already used up my imaginary sewing pattern budget for the month, I decided to try out the free pattern from The Sewing Rabbit, since she is close to the same size as me. After sewing up the bottoms, I discovered she is a bit smaller than me, but they worked out alright anyway.

I was going to post a picture of my wearing them, but chickened out. This way you can see the mistakes a bit more clearly anyway, and maybe one day I will be comfortable posting a picture of myself in a bathingsuit on the blog. It is another fun bright colour article of clothing from me.

Material: bought off a lady off Kijiji for cheap
Modifications: None
Learning: Bathing suits are less intimidating than I originally thought! I didn't really need any new skills, although I did learn that you barely stretch the elastic for the front part of the bathing suit bottoms, but stretch it a lot around the rear. Also, just because the elastic fits around your waist, doesn't mean it's long enough, too tight elastic is uncomfortable (kind of knew that and ignored it, will not ignore again).
Overall Impression: These were pretty good for a free pattern off the internet. I'm glad I made them and got to try them out, because it made me decide that I am not particularly fond of high-waisted bikini bottoms on me, so I don't need to buy them or make myself another pair.

Monday, 20 June 2016

Lycra Sewing Class

I took another sewing class! Usually I take them with Ally, but this time around she was busy, so I bravely took it alone. It was technically supposed to be a swimsuit sewing class, but the teacher said that sewing activewear was fine, as long as it was with a spandex-type fabric. I picked this pattern from kwik sew and decided to make both the leggings and the tank top with fabric that I picked up off a lady on Kijiji who was getting rid of a lot of her sewing stash.

I am really excited at the concept of having leggings that stay up. Also, at having really loud leggings, because they are awesome. This is the only piece that I managed to complete in the 3 week sewing class (one evening per week), but I also started a tank top, bathing suit bottoms and a sports bra (in matching fabric so I'll have a set).


Pattern: Kwik Sew K4163
Material: bought off a lady off Kijiji for cheap
Modifications: Added 8 inches of length, graded out the calves to a size larger, graded out the hips from the waist. After I basted it together I needed to take it in even more at the waist and hips.
Learning: I learned that when sewing with knits it is best to baste everything together and test the fit, how to hem with a twin needle and how to put together pants the right way.
Overall Impression: I really like this pattern and these leggings, and will keep an eye out for spandex so I can make more of them. They certainly get lots of comments, and when I wore them to my Ultimate Frisbee game I was nominated MVP (Most Vibrant Pants). In fact, one of my teammates was wearing sunglasses and said he still couldn't look at me.

Wednesday, 15 June 2016

My Charleston Dress

After seeing all of the testers' Charleston Dresses from Hey June, I knew I needed to buy the pattern and give it a try. It looked good on literally all of them. I was not yet ready to commit a lot of money to the project, so I used the leftover fabric from my circle skirt to make a wearable muslin. Unfortunately, I started the project at a very busy time, and so it took me a couple months to complete it. This was the first pdf pattern I've ever tried, and to be honest, it was much easier than I expected.

I made a lot of mistakes on this dress, the most major being that I sewing the bodice patterns together backwards. Like, hilariously totally backwards. The good news is that I learned that the stitch I was using is really strong, the bad news is that meant picking out the seams was impossible. Luckily, I had enough fabric left to recut those pieces so all was not lost. Lesson learned: baste and check, then sew the seams to stay.

I made a mistake that I am super ashamed of. I didn't trust the pattern and thought that my neckband was too short, so I cut out a longer one. Turns out it was the perfect length, so I ruined the neck of my dress by having the neckband stick out awkwardly. My fix: fold it under and sew it down so it ended up like the armholes. Lesson learned: trust the pattern.

Overall impression: I love this dress, mistakes and all, and I will be making it many more times in the future. I've already bought blue fabric to make the same cut in a royal blue, and cut out pattern pieces for a patterned short-sleeved version with the A-line skirt. The instructions in the pattern were very straightforward, and most of the mistakes were due to me, not the pattern. In tech we call that a PEBCAK error (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard). I definitely recommend buying the pattern!

Modifications: I added 2 inches of length to the bodice and 3 inches of length to the skirt and graded out the skirt because my hips are 2 sizes larger than my waist. In my next iteration of the dress, I will add another half inch to the bodice, shorten the top of the bodice by my shoulders, and increase the size of the armholes (you can see they are too tight).

Next up: Super awesome leggings from another sewing class!